Leading Manufacturer & Exporter of Pipe Fittings
By K.K. Fittings
Category: K. K. IndustriesNo Comments
A Socket Weld Fitting is a type of fitting wherein a pipe is attached and fitted to the recessed part of a flange, fitting or sometimes a valve too. These fittings are important to maintain high strength connections and are produced in various ASTM standards and grades. They are mostly manufactured keeping in mind ASME B16.11. This standard usually covers the ratings for tolerances, temperatures, and pressures and gives great information for material requirements for fittings with alloy steel and forged carbon.
Socket weld fittings are available in Class 3000 though can be made or supplied in Class 6000 and Class 9000. These fittings can be specially manufactured to suit customers’ requirements in a variety of stainless and special alloys.
Based on applications, different types of socket weldings are socket weld elbow, socket weld tee, and reducing tee, reducers, couplings, and SW flanges etc.
Advantages of Socket Buttweld Fittings:
1. Note that for preparing the socket weld, it is not necessary to bevel the pipe. Also, tack welding is also not required since the fitting in itself ensures the appropriate alignment.
2. Also, the welded metal cannot go through the pipe bore. The risk of leakage in the case of socket weld fittings is much lesser than when threaded fittings are used.
3. Radiography is not a practical solution on the weld filet, so for that, accurate fitting and welding procedures are required. This filet can be tested and seen for inaccuracies by magnetic particle (MP) or by the use of a liquid. With the usage of butt – weld joints, the cost for constructing them are lower since the exact requirements are not needed and special machining is not utilized.
Disadvantages of Socket Buttweld Fittings:
1. In socket weld fittings, there is a large expansion gap in the internal crevices and due to this, they are not preferred for radioactive and corrosive purposes since this buildup of material can cause problems in its operation.
2. These fittings are not preferred in the Food industry because they do not allow the full permeability and leave some gaps and overlaps that can cause problems and create difficulties in cleaning.
3. The reason why the bottoming clearance is used in Socket weld is to mitigate the stress at the bottom of the weld, which is the root, and this occurs when the weld metal is solidified. In turn, the mating elements are differentially expanded.